Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2009

SAY NO TO RESERVATION


Today I added a logo to my blog (see the sidebar) which says I'M AGAINST RESERVATION. Now adding this logo doesn't really mean that I am completely against reservation. I have my own views regarding this topic.

I have always believed in equality and caste was nothing for me anytime in life. Earlier when I was very young, I was absolutely against this concept and my blood boiled on reading or hearing anyone getting preference over other just because of his caste. The question which pops up in my mind always is, how can a caste of someone determine whether he needs some relaxation from the prescribed criteria or not? There are many SCs, STs and OBCs who are better off than people of general quota.

A few years later when I got the taste of real life and I became a little politically correct, I analyzed that there are actually a few people who need reservation but the criteria which our apathetic government has decided is faulty. Is it not one's background, his upbringing, his family history which determine his standing and claim for reservation?

From my perspective I really don't see the need to offer such high percentage of seat reservation to few castes. But the issue is not that simple. It has a lot more complexities and ramifications that my young mind can comprehend. So just to make you understand some part of it, here are the links for the blog 'I AM AGAINST RESERVATION'  http://imagainstreservation.blogspot.com/  and a very sensible comment by journalist Ms. Barkha Dutt http://amit-chopra-bawa.sulekha.com/blog/post/2006/05/an-article-by-barkha-dutt-ithought-u-should-read/comments.htm
Please take out some time and go through them.
One thing which I found very amusing in this link is a comment, "why can't we have 49.5% of our loksabha and rajyasabha seats reserved for weaker sections of the society? why can't we have have 49.5% berths in the cabinet reserved for obcs / scs / sts? why can't we have 49.5% representation given to bckward classes in our cricket team? why can't we have 49.5% of consultants and engineers postings reserved for backward classes at infosys which competes with accentures and ibms of this world? why can't we have 49.5% postings of our scientists at isro reserved for backward classes? why exclude army / navy / air force from reservations?"
HE HE !!!

5 Obiter dicta:

Pawan Singh Rajput said...

I became your fan 2 weeks ago......nice stuff again....Keep it up...

I AM AGAINST RESERVATION.

Pankhuri Shrivastava said...

@ramesh thank you sir for taking out time to read this :)

Pankhuri Shrivastava said...

@pawan thanx :)

Shekhar said...

Hey Nice write,would have a talk about it with you someday

Pankhuri Shrivastava said...

@raj hey :) thanx fr commenting

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails